What is AMC 12?
American Mathematics Contest 12 (AMC 12) is the 2nd stage of the Math Olympiad Contest in the US after AMC 8 and AMC 10. The contest is in multiple-choice format and aims to develop problem-solving abilities. The difficulty of the problems dynamically varies and is based on important mathematical principles. These contests have lasting educational value.
Who can appear for AMC 12, 2021 ?
Students in grade 12 or below and under 19.5 years of age on the day of the contest can take the AMC 12.
How one can appear for AMC 12 2021 from India?
One can appear for American Mathematics Competition (AMC) 12, 2021 through Cheenta.
To Apply for American Mathematics Competition through Cheenta, Register here.
But, before that Watch this to know why Indian Students should register for AMC.
AMC 12 Exam Format 2021
The format of the tests is multiple choice type. It is a 75-minute test with 25 questions. The exams are held on two dates under the names AMC 12A and 12B for AMC 12.
Is there any difference in the A and B (AMC 12A and AMC 12B) versions of the examinations?
Yes! There are some differences in the A and B versions. The differences are the competition dates and that each version has a distinct set of questions, although the two examinations are equal in difficulty level and distribution of topics.
AMC 12 Exam Syllabus 2021
The syllabus include:
- Elementary Algebra
- Basic Geometry Knowledge like Pythagorean Theorem, area and volume formulas
- Elementary Number Theory
- Elementary Probability
- Advanced Algebra
- Advanced Geometry
The syllabus of AMC 12 includes the high school mathematics curriculum and including all the topics mentioned above. Only calculus is excluded in the advanced topics.
The difficulty of the problem increases with the question numbers in the question paper.
Important dates for AMC 12, 2021
For AMC 12A:
- Early Bird Registration Date - Going on till Sep. 24, 2021
- Regular Registration Date - Sep. 25 - Oct. 15, 2021
- Late Registration Date - Oct. 16 - Oct. 22, 2021
- AMC 10A Competition Date - November 10, 2021 from 8:00 am ET to 11:59 pm ET
For AMC 12B:
- Early Bird Registration-Going on till Oct. 1, 2021
- Regular Registration Date - Oct. 2 - Oct. 22, 2021
- Late Registration Date - Oct. 23 - Oct. 29, 2021
- AMC 10B Competition Date- November 16, 2021 from 8:00 am ET to 11:59 pm ET
Scoring system of the Examination
After the exam takes place in November, the MAA AMC office will begin emailing official scores and reports in early to mid-December. It takes roughly 3-4 weeks to finish reporting.
What after AMC 12?
The students with high scores in AMC 12, get an invitation to participate in the AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examinations).
How to prepare for AMC 12, 2021
Resources to prepare & Curriculum at Cheenta
- Utilize your resources: Start your preparation with whatever resource you have. Get a clear idea of the concepts. Change your mindset about problem-solving and enjoy it.
- Go from basics to advance: Increase your level gradually by starting with small simple concepts and problems. This will maintain your confidence level and you will learn fast.
- Solve Past Papers: Solving questions from the previous year will let you understand the difficulty level of the examination and practice accordingly.
- Solve Similar Questions: Try to get some questions that are similar to the difficulty level of AMC 12 and practice them.
- Don't hesitate to solve Challenging Problems: As the competition gets tougher year by year. Try to solve questions that are of a higher level of the examination.
- Participate in Math Summer Camps: Participating in such Summer Camps gives you an edge over other competitors. These three-weeks summer camps help you to devote yourself to problem-solving 6-8 hours per day and provides you the right environment for your growth.
- Get a coach: A coach can see and analyze your performance and guide you in the best way possible. He/She can help you strengthen your weaknesses by letting you work in the right direction.
- Take Mock Tests: Take Mock Tests to check your ability to problem-solving. If it is an online test, then it can help you know your preparation status in the competition. You will be able to know where you stand and what should be improved.
- Track Your Progress: You should also track your progress. If something unimportant is stealing your time, recognize it and try to avoid it. Keep yourself surrounded by people who encourage you. Discuss your dreams and goals with them.
- Have Proper food and rest: It is the biggest myth that studying for long hours brings productivity at your work. There should be a routine with a proper work-rest balance and then you should ritually follow it.
All the best!